Wednesday 28 October 2009

Year 2 Day 28: Slow Like Honey



This Fiona Apple song is the perfect melody to describe my recovery process at the moment. Slow. Like. Honey. Can it be any more metaphorical? Not to mention that honey has been my one saving grace for throat-soothing relief. Bless hubby for thinking enough to put it in my tea (and buy another jar last night)! I don't know what I would do without his patience, honestly. I even told him I was beginning to get tired of being around myself!

Last night definitely wasn't easy-going. I had a pretty low-grade fever by midnight, so Matt diligently kept an eye on me and checked my temperature every hour as I was lying in bed, wrapped in a duvet-fortress with chills permeating my lethargic body. We were both worried for bunny as well, but agreed that if the temperature didn't start to go down, we would ring the hospital.

In the meantime, I did my best to stay well-hydrated with juice and water. I had decided to stop taking the co-codamol as it was causing a bit of a headache, and reverted back to paracetamol. Within a few hours, when Matt came to bed, I had managed to sleep a full two hours uninterrupted and was beginning to feel a bit of a break. Unfortunately, as nice as it was to feel the improvement, because I had been resting so much, I also felt a bit restless and was downstairs on the sofa by 3:45am. At first I attempted to sleep there, but it was clear shortly after that sleep was not what my body wanted -- plus, that's about when the coughing started so I made myself a cup of tea.

In my insomnia, I discovered some new morning cartoons I was not aware of...so I made a mental note of those for future reference. By 7:50am I made Matt a morning coffee and saw him off to work. Thinking I would be up for a while, I turned on the water heater to prepare for a soothing bath, but ended up spark-out on the bed upstairs until nearly noon! For the first time in 72 hours, I managed to get more than just a couple hours of comfortable sleep and I woke up feeling quite rested.

The rest of my day has been a roller coaster of feeling better and then slightly crap again, but I would say overall that I am on the mend. My nostrils are absolutely dry and battered from kleenex and my throat has a residual dryness to it as well -- in fact, each time I've attempted to lie down to rest, a coughing fit has ensued. So, not at 100% yet, but definitely headed in that direction. Plus, bunny's movements haven't decreased, so his wiggles are reassuring.

Methinks the antibiotics have hit the nail on the head.

No comments: