Thursday 1 July 2010

Year 2 Day 274: Then & Now


In the beginning I think new parents can often be fooled that their little precious bundle of joy is going to be a good sleeper. Granted, the first three weeks, I was personally so exhausted I'm surprised I remembered how to spell my own name! But I remember this...the picture of perfection where little babies are concerned. My sleeping angel. And I remember thinking 'wow...he sure does sleep a lot.'


Fast forward six months and some change and you get this: Mr. Don't-You-Dare-Put-Me-Down-or-I'll-Scream-Bloody-Murder...all because he is over-tired, over-stimulated, and absolutely fighting sleep (even through a dose of baby Ibuprofen). This is when I am thinking, of course, 'wow...I wish you'd just sleep already!'

He slept beautifully yesterday...at least 3 hours of nap time prompted by another late-afternoon sleep interlude and then down for bed at a decent time to sleep through the night. Today, however...not so much. He just refused to give in even though you could clearly see on his face just how knackered he was.

By the time Matt returned home I was exhausted and had managed to nurse him partially to sleep upstairs in our bed, where I also got a few winks as well, but not much. Thankfully I managed to get a quick shower in while Matt looked after him downstairs -- I now know to cherish those moments.

He seemed to then perk up a bit at dinner when I laid some sticks of cucumber on his tray and then surprised him with one of my hash brown triangles. He REALLY loved that and Matt and I thoroughly enjoyed watching. He's getting so good now at chewing his food having finally discovered a use for those two teeth!

He began to show sleepy signals around 9:30pm, so I quickly got him lotioned and ready for bed. By 9:50 he was beside me upstairs, nursing and listening to tonight's tale about Jemima Puddle-Duck. In fact, he didn't even make it through the story this time before being fully out so accompanied by his pal Scout serenading him with 'bedtime music' I carried him to the cot and placed him gently inside.

I gazed down at my peacefully sleeping son and suddenly I was reminded of how it was in the beginning...


I know it will never be the same as it once was, but this will always take me back.

No comments: