Sunday 4 July 2010

Year 2 Day 277: America, **** Yeah!


Today Americans all over the world celebrate their independence...and yes, even in Britain of all places. I made sure Ryan was decked out in his red, white and blue and that he even had his American teddy to accompany him to Sunday tea.

This year I finally got to do something I have wanted to do since I have lived here, and that is to make an American flag cake dessert. I've done it several times before when I lived in the US for the 4th of July as well as Memorial Day and Labour Day, but never have I done it here. So, this morning, Matt headed to Tesco with a list of ingredients:

  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Whipped Topping (Cool Whip, in America)
  • Madeira Cake
There is another recipe that calls for the use of jelly (Jell-O) as the base, but I prefer the spongy cake instead. The best part is this cake is super easy to make as you just put everything together and let it set an hour or so in the fridge.


First, you cut 'squares' of the Madeira cake and lay them flat as the base.


Next comes a layer of whipped cream/whipped topping.


Then you place random slices of strawberries and whole blueberries, being certain to leave enough to do the design on the top as well.

 Again with another layer of Madeira cake (I forgot to photograph that stage) and then one more, slightly thicker layer of whipped topping.

By now, you're ready to start creating your flag design on top.


Blueberries go up in the corner like a postage stamp.


And finally the strawberries create the stripes!


There you have it! Now you let it settle (covered) in the fridge for an hour or so and then cut and serve!

I will say this...I had to giggle a bit at how buying these items in England means my American flag is also part Scottish (strawberries) and French (blueberries) as well. Aside from the art, there was really nothing American about it...well, besides my bleeding patriotism making in it.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend!

No comments: