Tuesday 31 August 2010

Year 2 Day 335: This is the Life


Yep, just sitting out on the patio, enjoying a yummy lunch of carrots, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, and mashed-egg sandwiches! This was Ryan's first taste of an egg hard-boiled. He has had them scrambled before, but definitely an interesting alternative.

Every bite went down the hatch!


Later, when he went down for his afternoon nap, I went looking online for templates to use with my genealogy findings. I came across a file from My Family Search (which is associated with LDS), but when I downloaded it, I didn't get a template, but instead a video welcoming and thanking me for becoming a volunteer indexer.

HA!

I decided to give it a shot and basically you have access to loads of world records, from the census, military, taxes, birth, marriage, death, etc. You are required to decipher the chicken scratch handwriting and complete a spreadsheet (included in the program). Then you submit it and it becomes part of the world wide web for people to do searches on. I figure this is me doing my part since I know how difficult it is to find a complete set of records when you're searching for ancestors.

If you're interested in genealogy, you should really consider doing this. You can invest as little or as much time as you'd like. Plus, for me...I find it a bit interesting to read about other lives. Like this one in the photo for example (last names censored as I don't want to break my indexing oath). This is a record of a marriage license where the bride-to-be was underage and needed parental consent to get married. Unfortunately, the genius who photocopied this record copied the handwritten note of permission from her mother, over the TOP of the actual marriage license, leaving it non-readable for a majority of the information. I found it quite funny.

I do feel nerdy doing it...but at the same time, it's nice to know it will help someone with their own research down the line.

No comments: