Tuesday 22 February 2011

Y3 - 145/365: Evel Knievel?


I'm beginning to question in what size I should purchase his white jumpsuit and matching cape because we have a climber, folks! Now that he has got the hang of the stairs, he's trying to climb anything and everything. He's even been using his quad all on his own to ride from the telly over to his blocks...because it's such a dehydrating trek across the desert wasteland that is our front room.

Is it too soon to purchase his helmet, safety pads and goggles??


While he napped this afternoon, I took some time to attack the garden. It's been in desperate need of a cleanup from the winter overgrowth and each time I ask Matt we agree to work on it the upcoming weekend -- but still, nothing. So, today I took matters into my own hands. I splurged yesterday at Wilkinson's on a pair of 99p garden pruners and tested them out on all the overgrowth up our front steps, the Hydrangea bush on the patio, and the decaying fern near the front gate.

After significantly cutting back the fern, looky looky what I discovered! I'm pretty sure this is the bluebells starting to emerge and I couldn't be more pleased. From last year I remember the bluebells, tulips and daffodils were the first to arrive in the early spring. I also trimmed back some dead stalk so the rhubarb might have some more room and I even noticed some already popping through the gravel, despite a portion of it coming up from underneath the concrete slab...NOO!

I mentioned to Matt that I might consider starting a garden blog, but he questions if I will have the time. Perhaps it will be updated only every so often, but I would like to keep a bit of a diary on the upkeep of the garden this year since I plan to do just that...upkeep it. Plus, it would be nice to get a bit of feedback from other, more experienced gardeners considering I flew outside today on a wing and a prayer not knowing the first thing about pruning. It felt like giving a hair cut and some places I really needed to force myself to stop.

We'll see though.

No comments: