Friday 11 January 2013

Y5 - 11/365: Why Don't You...Stay and Play?


We headed back to St. Mary's today for our second and final 'Play and Stay' session for his Pre-School. Ryan was more that excited to go and made comments the whole way on the bus. When we arrived and he saw the big blue sign he began to chant, over and over: 'I'm going to go to school to-day, I'm go-ing to schoooooooooool.'


He didn't waste any time getting right in. One of the teachers, Mrs. Taylor, was happily playing with the 3D puzzle and it didn't take Ryan very long to go and have a gander.

The thing he was most looking forward to was playing on their playground. So, when the children began to filter outside to join the older Reception children, Ryan turned to me like he was instructed before our arrival and asked politely to go outside.

We popped into the corridor to get his coat and wellies and back through the classroom to the entrance to the playground. Just as Ryan slipped ahead of me through the door, I noticed all the children were returning inside with their parents. It was time to tidy up and prepare to go home and Ryan  did not like it, not one little bit.

He showed his displeasure by screaming at the top of his lungs and having a full-blown paddy!

I can't say I blamed him for being upset because I had no idea they would be ending things that soon. By the time I finally had him calm and on the carpet listening to a story, the other parents had disappeared with Mrs. Taylor for the school tour. Fortunately for my dignity, I wasn't the only parent playing damage control.


Ryan stuck around to sing songs at the end with Miss Oliver and the rest of the children, even suggesting the group sing 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,' just like he has been for every bedtime since before Christmas.

I still feel a bit to blame for the meltdown because otherwise he has been good as gold all day. Still, he cheerfully said goodbye to his teachers at home time and off we went!

We have a home-visit to look forward to next week and then he officially starts Pre-School on the 21st! My little boy is growing up!!

No comments: